Seminary is now an academie
winner Golden Feniks Award 2011
Police Academy, Apeldoorn
Restoration, renovation and extension of a former Roman Catholic seminary in Apeldoorn (1935) by architect Jan van Hardeveld, for a police academy.
The reconstruction design displays great respect for this historically listed building and for the surrounding landscape. Adaptation and removal of some of the latter interventions have largely restored the original beauty. In addition, a new programme and new brief have led to the building’s transformation and extension. New construction has been realized next to the existing building and the parking facilities have been concentrated. In conjunction with the demolition of latter extensions, the landscape has been restored.
The seminary displays features of the Delft School. It is traditional in its manifestation, but business-like in its structure, making use of then-innovative construction and materials. One characteristic of the building is its blanced composition, occasionally sober tone, solid composure and dignified origin. At other locations inside, it is fresh, light, flexible and neutral, depending on the programme requirements. The original colours and materials have been restored, or have been attuned to the original. The restoration of the former attic dormitories, at a height of ten metres, has produced marvellous, light workspaces.
Following the principle of the existing building, the new additions are solid, spacious and distinctive, but now radiate much more light and are characteristically modern. In some cases, the new construction is forceful in itself, but it always blends with the existing building, so the contrast is emphasized. Steel and glass have been primarily used for this purpose. The new buildings are satellites of the old main volume, acting in the same manner as the former auxiliary buildings.
The previous additions were voluminous and tall; now they are horizontal and made of light materials.
The Atrium is an excellent example of architectural styles from two periods reinforcing one another. By roofing over the old inner courtyard with a splendidly designed covering span, an impressive interior space has been created. This synergy between old and new has become a representative spot for the learning centre, the media library and casual encounters: it is the new heart of the organization.
The former entrances could not accommodate the new flow of visitors. For this reason, a new main entrance has been realized on the north side. Here, too, the substantial parking requirements could be met without adversely affecting the monumental landscape. By demolishing the former Men’s House and by redesigning the grounds, this former, somewhat untidy, rear side has become a dignified entrance area. In this way, the ‘old lady’ could also be restored to their former glory.
By restoring and thinning out overgrown vegetation, the old facade has reappeared, just as it was in 1935. And the new intervention manifests itself subtly: the old lady supports the new Aureole of the new glass Atrium roof.
In addition to the contract for the exterior design of the Police Academy, atelier PRO was also commissioned for the design of the entire interior.